Wednesday, November 24, 2004

U2's album a bit of a misnomer

Okay, I found a copy of the new Album by U2 - how to dismantle an atomic bomb - and bought it. It is good. Although, I am not altogether sure why they labled it as they did. It is not terribly political, nor to they make as strong a statement as they sometimes do (e.g. bullet the blue sky, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc..).

It is very melodic, and dense with the Edge's guitar riffs and rhythm. The man is very talented and creative. Adam Clayton really does inspire on the bass - often a lament of the group, I think Clayton is really powerful on this album, and really outdoes himself on this one. Larry Mullen Jr. rocks steady as usual. Nice job. Bono, I think could have laced the lyric with a touch more cynicism and political wit that stems from his various foray into the political sphere as if late - but in general, he laid off the establishment and gave us some beautiful music. That said, I was dissapointed that he didn't address world hunger, AIDS/HIV, war, etc...he could have but didn't...or perhaps I am not reading the lyrics close enough....but "cool down mama, cool off," repeat? I mean, it is a nice torn up heart song, but doesn't touch the political. I thought the band would have grown up or matured a bit in terms of lyrical content...Then again, it is music, and that might very well be the point - we dismantle weapons with love and music, no?

In all, the album is good. I don't think it lives up to the spin, and it is not as good as say, WAR or the Unforgetable Fire or Joshua Tree, but it rocks nonetheless.

I am still waiting for the 100% accustic album from the boys, permeated with traditional Irish instruments...that would be spectacular.

No comments: