Sunday, March 05, 2006

Two Paragraphs The Right Won't Be Reading

Regular readers to this blog will know that if I could dream my dream ticket for 2008 presidential race it would put Cornel West and Aaron McGruder together on the ballot. Of course, that would never happen. Yet, Mr. West and Tavis Smiley are on the road promoting the work of another fine set of new age thinkers that shows promise. Here are two paragraphs from their web location that the right won't be reading today (or any day for that matter), unless it's on their list of people to watch and know your enemy.
If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, and it may be both moral and physical, but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.
by MARIAN WRIGHT EDELMAN
I am so tired of feeling afraid for my children’s and grandchildren’s futures and waking up at night wondering whether human life will end on America’s and our watch for children everywhere in our violent, saturated world. So I hope you will stand with me and others to stop those who prey on children, pick on children, and put children in harm’s way.
by FREDERICK DOUGLASS,“West India Emancipation” Speech, August 4, 1857

4 comments:

enigma4ever said...

I love both of these quotes...the Marian quote I have on my bathroom mirror...I never see it anywhere...thanks for putting it up...

( and you should be ranked MUCH higher than 2732- that just ain't right....)

Neil Shakespeare said...

Those ARE great quotes, and timely. It's not like we haven't had these problems before. The problem is that we continue to have them. You'd think we would have accomplished something by now...

Neil Shakespeare said...

I forgot to say, in response to your 'yellowcake' question over at my blog: that's all a ruse. An elaborate fiction. Everything about the Plame affair and trying to discredit Wilson is absolutely true, in my opinion.

pissed off patricia said...

It's some sort of comfort to be reminded we aren't the only ones who ever felt the way we do today, but as Neil said, too bad we keep repeating rather than learning.