Friday, March 10, 2006

Those That Propagate Fear, Perish By That Fear

The Fear Mongers of the W, Rove and Co were/are so good at selling all their policies on fear that they should not be disgruntled when ports are not sold based on that same fear. Puts new spin on the tired old phrase: "Be careful, you reap what you sow."

Why just yesterday, the Shrubmiester slaps the Nine Eleven monkey some more:
That's why I'm proud to stand with members of the United States Congress and candidates for Congress who understand our biggest job, our most important responsibility in Washington is to protect the American people and never forget the lessons of September the 11th, 2001. I knew one of the challenges for our country would be, the farther we got away from that -- that date, that day, that people would want to forget the trauma of the day and might be willing to forget the lessons learned on that day. I can assure you these members of Congress won't forget the lessons of that day, and neither will I.
And today, the Shrubmiester spanks that Nine Eleven Monkey some more:
We're at war. I wish I could report to you we weren't at war; we are. There's an enemy that still lurks, that would like to do serious harm to the United States. Much of my thinking, the decisions I have made, all revolve around that fateful moment when we got attacked. As concerned citizens, I'm going to share with you a little bit about why I have made decisions I have made. I'll be glad to answer any question you have along those decisions.

But I vowed on September the 11th and after I would use all assets at our disposal to protect you. That is, by far, the most important job of the President, is to secure this homeland. There are lessons to have been learned after September the 11th. One of them is that we cannot take our security for granted. Listen, I understand that this is a different kind of war, and there are some in our country that may not believe there is a global war on terror. They may believe this is an isolated incident -- I don't. I know we're at war with a jihadist movement that has got strategies and tactics to back up those strategies.

So we cannot take our security for granted. And we must remain on the offense, and we are. We're dismantling al Qaeda. It takes time. But whoever is the President of the United States after me must always keep the pressure on al Qaeda.

But here we see that same fear mongering spits the Shrubmiester right back in the eye.
Speaking to a newspaper group a day after the ports deal fell apart under withering attack from the U.S. Congress, Bush also pledged to work with members of Congress on how to improve the process that led his administration to approve the transaction.

"I'm concerned about a broader message this issue could send to our friends and allies around the world, particularly in the Middle East," Bush said.
Here's what he said exactly in this morning's speechifying:
Obviously, you've been reading about the UAE issue. And I want to make a comment on that, the port issue. I'm sure that the decision by DEPARTMENT World was a difficult decision, to hand over port operations that they had purchased from another company.

My administration was satisfied that port security would not have been undermined by the agreement. Nevertheless, Congress was still very much opposed to it. My administration will continue to work with the Congress to provide a greater understanding of how these transactions are approved, in other words the process, and how we can improve that process in the future.

I'm concerned about a broader message this issue could send to our friends and allies around the world, particularly in the Middle East. In order to win the war on terror, we have got to strengthen our relationships and friendships with moderate Arab countries in the Middle East. UAE is a committed ally in the war on terror. They are a key partner for our military in a critical region.

And outside of our own country, Dubai services more of our military -- military ships -- than any country in the world. They're sharing intelligence so we can hunt down the terrorists. They've helped us shutdown a worldwide nuclear proliferation network run by A.Q. Khan. UAE is a valued and strategic partner. I'm committed to strengthening our relationship with the UAE and explaining why it's important to Congress and the American people.
So, the deal fell apart. Serves them right. Indeed, members of the W, Rove and Co are getting an object lesson in reaping and sowing.

2 comments:

isabelita said...

...or did they? It occurred to me this morning that this crew may have set this whole thing up inorder to get the port deal to this other company. Who owns the American one taking over?
Another big shell game?

enigma4ever said...

Glad that I could get to your blog tonight. The issue that Isebelita raised has been on my mind all day as well, something smells about this whole issue, it doesn't sound right....Do we know the American company involved? Yet so many peices of this don't make sense...was it a deal that was sweetened and manuvered and was suposed to be snuck through?...I don't have any answers, but I did like the fact that he got Caught and people are paying attention.