Monday, March 13, 2006

You Say Civil War, I'll Say "Sectarian Violence"

More confusion coming from the Whitehouse today about what's going on in Iraq. Here, Martha asks some interesting questions. A better one to ask would be what's the difference between "sectarian violence" and civil war?
Q Scott, you talk about the strategy for victory. Secretary Rumsfeld has said that if civil war does break out the Iraqi security forces would take care of that, or try to take care of that. So do you consider victory in Iraq -- it to be a victory in Iraq even if civil war breaks out? Can the U.S. claim victory?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, first of all, I think that our commanders on the ground say that they don't see it headed in that direction, because what you have seen in the aftermath of the attacks on the Golden Mosque is that the Iraqi people have exercised, by and large, restraint, that they've come together. The Iraqi religious leaders and political leaders have called for restraint and calm. The Iraqi political leaders have said they understand the importance of moving ahead as quickly as possible to form a government of national unity that represents all Iraqis. And that's what they're doing, and we're there to support them as they move forward on those efforts.

So I think you have to look at --

Q But we haven't seen that government being formed.

MR. McCLELLAN: -- you have to look at where things are. There's continued sectarian violence --

Q Right, there were six car bombs in Sadr City yesterday.

MR. McCLELLAN: That's what I'm just getting to. There's continued sectarian violence that we are seeing, but by and large, the Iraqi people are saying, we want to live in freedom, we want to live in democracy, and they're coming together to continue to move forward on the advance to that future.

Q But, Scott, go back to the victory in Iraq. And I know we've gone over this time and time again. But you've had Secretary Rumsfeld saying, if civil war broke out, the Iraqis would take care of --

MR. McCLELLAN: I think he was responding to a specific question.

Q So how can you say that would be victory, if civil war broke out?

MR. McCLELLAN: I think he said more than what you just said. And I think he expressed that they don't see it headed in that direction.

Q So you won't even address if civil war breaks out? I mean, you've seen sectarian violence. You said the President is going to talk about that --

MR. McCLELLAN: Our commanders spoke to what they would do. They were asked a specific question; they spoke to what would be done if you got into that situation. But at the same time, Martha, they said a lot more than that. So I don't think you should ignore what else they said, which is they don't see it headed in that direction.

1 comment:

Neil Shakespeare said...

Another head whacker. You really do wade through this stuff. Kudos to you. I couldn't do it. Always look forward to coming over here and seeing what Scott the Dork had to cover up today, though. Thanks. (P.S. I'll see if I can find you a Nicole Kidman. I'm confined to the magazines given me - never buy the things. I do have a BIG full page one of her in a perfume ad, I think. It's a 'big head' shot. I'll see if I can find some other, so perhaps she can still have the honor of being ritually sacrificed the save the nation from Satan & Shooter.)