Thursday, March 30, 2006

Economic Hit Men: Alive and Kicking

I finally picked up my reserve copy of the "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" by John Perkins from the local library (no doubt doing so put me on some NSA list somewhere as soon as the scanner registered my library card. C'est la vie). As W gallivants down to Mexico to hobnob with the other "rulers" of a "free" North America, I thought it would be interesting to post Perkins' first paragraph as he opens up in the preface (page ix):
Economic hit men (EHMs) are highly paid professionals who cheat countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars. They funnel money from the World Bank, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), and other foreign "aid" organizations into the coffers of huge corporations and the pockets of a few wealthy families who control the planet's natural resources. Their tools include fraudulent financial reports, rigged elections, payoffs, extortion, sex, and murder. They play a game as old as empire, but one that has taken on new and terrifying dimensions during this time of globalization. I should know; I was an EHM.
It seems as though Perkins left some items off this list. For one example, what about war? Still believe the W, Rove and Co are here to protect you? Me neither, but then again, I never did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To quote the Rules of Acquisition:

34. War is good for business.
35. Peace is good for business.