Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans Day

Ken, over at common sense has the best post about today that I have found thus far. Here's a taste to get you over there:
As we remember those who have fallen and those who are still fighting on this Veteran’s Day, we must try to separate the conflict from the men and women who go off to fight it. We must remember that these people did not create the wars they are sent to fight. They do not decide what weapons to use, what enemy to target, what building to destroy. They operate on orders from our civilian leaders, funneled through the military command. They just do what they are told to the best of their ability. They do it because they have to. They do it out of honor. They do it for us.

4 comments:

profmarcus said...

as a vietnam veteran, i posted a personal memoir on my site from the perspective of a va hospital... if you've never visited a va hospital, i suggest you do so... just go sit in the lobby and watch... i guarantee, you will never look at veterans the same way again...

http://takeitpersonally.blogspot.com/2005/11/veterans-day-personal-memoir.html

Peter Porcupine said...

My post today is about the poems which honor soldiers - not way, soldiers.

http://capecodporcupine.blogspot.com

BTW - notice how FEW people have posts about Veteran' Day today?

Ken Grandlund said...

Thanks Windspike for the link. (Again.)

It's too bad that so many would rather denigrate the soldier instead of the policies that put them in harms way. Especially specious policies like we have going on today.

But as I said in the post, that is a fight for another day. Today we honor those who have fallen and those who stand the line for us all.

SheaNC said...

I posted my unpopular opinion over on Ken's site. I know, I'm askin' for trouble, but I apply what I call "conditional" support for the troops.