Friday, November 04, 2005

Bam, Bam, Bam: Deflect, Deflect, Deflect

Looks like W is just as good at not answering questions as his tool, Scotty. Three very juicy questions get the usual rhetorical deflection. Have a look at today's "Semi-Press Briefing" Down in Argentina:
That's what I've done so far today. Nedra.

[BAM 1]-Q Hi, Mr. President. Thank you. Did Karl Rove tell you the truth about his role in the CIA leak case? And do you owe the American people an apology for your administration's assertations that Karl Rove and Scooter Libby weren't involved?

[Deflect 1]THE PRESIDENT: We're going through a very serious investigation. And I will -- have told you before that I'm not going to discuss the investigation until it's completed. And we have got a -- my obligation is to set an agenda, and I've done that. And the agenda is fighting and winning the war on terror, and keeping the economic vitality and growth alive, dealing with the energy problem, nominating people to the Supreme Court that adhere to the philosophy that I can depend on -- Judge Alito being such a person. I noticed today that they've got a date. I'm disappointed in the date, but happy they do have a firm date for his confirmation hearing. We've got to recover from the hurricanes. So I've got a lot to do, and will continue to focus on the people's business.

Steve.

[BAM 2]Q You've taken a beating in recent weeks, sir. What are you going to do for a fresh start? Are there going to be any staff changes? Would it help if the special prosecutor would wrap up his probe quickly?

[Deflect 2]THE PRESIDENT: Well, again, you're trying to get me to comment on the investigation, which I'm not going to do. And I hope you understand that. It's a serious investigation, and it's an important investigation. But it's not yet over.

I think it's important for the American people to know that I understand my job is to set clear goals and deal with the problems we face. Now, look, we've got an ongoing war on terror. And my administration is working with friends and allies to find these terrorists and bring them to justice before they strike us again. We're fighting the terrorists in Iraq. And, as you know, we've got a two-pronged strategy, an important strategy, that one -- on the one hand, has a political solution to it, on the other hand has a security solution to it. And we're working hard to achieve those objectives. We're laying what I have called the foundation for peace, because democratic nations don't war; democratic nations will be allies with each other in fighting off an ideology that is dark and grim in its vision, and is willing to use murder as its tool.

Elisabeth.

Q Okay, this is not a question about the investigation, but it's about Karl.

THE PRESIDENT: It sounds like one, though.

[Bam 2b] Q Are there discussions in the White House about whether or not Karl will remain in his job?

[Deflect 2b]THE PRESIDENT: Elisabeth, the investigation on Karl, as you know, is not complete. And, therefore, I will not comment upon -- about him and/or the investigation. Again, I understand the anxiety and angst by the press corps to talk about this. On the other hand, it is a serious investigation and we take it seriously and we're cooperating to the extent that the special prosecutor wants us to cooperate.

[Bam 3] Q The American people, though -- sir, the American people, though, are beginning to question your honesty, according to the polls, 58 percent. And your approval rating is at an all-time low, primarily because, it seems, of this investigation. They are wondering whether you can keep on track and whether to believe you, sir.

[Deflect 3]THE PRESIDENT: Well, no, I understand there is a preoccupation by polls and by some. I think this may be -- I think we've got -- this is maybe the fourth or fifth consecutive semi-press conference -- press conference or semi-press conference that I've been asked about polls. The way you earn credibility with the American people is to declare an agenda that everybody can understand, an agenda that relates to their lives, and get the job done. And the agenda that I'm working on now is one that is important to the American people.

Shrub does a lot of spewing about what he thinks the American People want. I flash to the sceen in the Princess Bride that occurs between Indigo and one of the other characters who continuously uses the word "inconceivable." When W says, "the American People," my head echos the phrase, "you keep using those words; but I don't think those words mean what you think they mean." Certainly, many bloggers out there have an opinion. What do you think the American People want?

P.S. Crooks and Liars has a video clip of the latter portion of the Q & A. If you ask me, W looks and sounds nervous, but that's just me: or is it?

No comments: