Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Two paragraphs on education don't make a plan for fixing our schools

I do support the president in our unrelenting pursuit of the terrorist...abroad and at home - don't forget Timothy McVeigh, or Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris.

The jury is still out on his plan for fixing our schools:

Slice:

Good jobs begin with good schools, and here we've made a fine start. (Applause.) Republicans and Democrats worked together to achieve historic education reform so that no child is left behind. I was proud to work with members of both parties: Chairman John Boehner and Congressman George Miller. (Applause.) Senator Judd Gregg. (Applause.) And I was so proud of our work, I even had nice things to say about my friend, Ted Kennedy. (Laughter and applause.) I know the folks at the Crawford coffee shop couldn't believe I'd say such a thing -- (laughter) -- but our work on this bill shows what is possible if we set aside posturing and focus on results. (Applause.)

There is more to do. We need to prepare our children to read and succeed in school with improved Head Start and early childhood development programs. (Applause.) We must upgrade our teacher colleges and teacher training and launch a major recruiting drive with a great goal for America: a quality teacher in every classroom. (Applause.)

End Slice:

The very tragic situation is that our teacher preparation programs are littered with some of the worst role models for high quality teaching I have ever experienced. Oddly enough, when I was doing my undergraduate (BS in Mathematics Education), I had to endure lectures on such things as how to hold chalk. Nothing in the course curriculum prepared me to deal with the lack of discipline in our schools, the disrespect of the children, and the tendency for parents to cover for their children by lying. Yes, that is right, I had parents lie for their kids in futile attempts to coerce better grades for them.

The unfortunate situation is that the problem in America's schools is much more complex than simply "putting a quality teacher in every classroom," or testing. The problem is a societal one and requires a societal solution.

I am a little bit sad that W decided to insert his brand of humor into the education portion of the talk. I don't know why, but for me it really diminishes what he had to say and it sent the message to me that he doesn't care much about education at all.

About 50 years ago, people used to walk around our neighborhoods, and talk with their neighbors. Today, you can't go onto your porch for fear of a drive by or incidental shooting.

What's wrong with America's schools is a reflection of what is wrong with America. The fix must be sweeping and wholesale.

What should it be? Let the ideas flow in the comments to this post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Missle Tow. You have given us a lot to think about.