Friday, April 28, 2006

Should We Let Those Bastards Sing Our National Anthem In English?

Okay, am I crazy for saying it's okay to sing the National Anthem in Spanish or any other language for that matter?
Q Mr. President, a cultural question for you. There is a version of the National Anthem in Spanish now. Do you believe it will hold the same value if sung in Spanish as in English?

THE PRESIDENT: No I don't, because I think the National Anthem ought to be sung in English. And I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English, and they ought to learn to sing the National Anthem in English.
If you ask me, I think the president and his ilk tend to confuse patriotism with blind allegience.

1 comment:

Neil Shakespeare said...

I think everyone should sing it in Swedish. Of course Bush is just looking to score a few points with the rednecks, but wasn't it Bill Dana (Jose Jimenez) who used to do a bit where he ended up climbing the flagpole at a baseball game and was surprised when, at the beginning of the game, everyone started to sing to him: "Jose, can you see...?" And he responded. "Very well, thank you."