Monday, April 24, 2006

Pedro Pan Aught Be Very Pissed, No? Subtitle: Unscripted, The President Appears The Fool Again.

Again, we see the President’s sense of humor really stinks, and occasionally, can be considered downright offensive. Unscripted, the president continues to reveal his true self. What do you think?
Q Mr. President, I emigrated from Cuba when I was about nine years old -- legally, I might add.

THE PRESIDENT: Pedro Pan? Were you Pedro Pan?
Q No.


THE PRESIDENT: No? Okay.

Q But anyway, besides marrying a wonderful woman and having two great sons, coming to this great land is the best thing that has ever happened to me. And I appreciate your comments on immigration. And my question to you, Mr. President, is that I would like to go to Cuba, to travel, to see -- I want to go see my front door that was bullet-riddled when they were fighting Batista's guys. And I can't go there legally. And I don't understand, how can we trade with Vietnam -- we lost over 50,000 Americans there -- how can we trade with Communist China, we can't even go to Cuba? And I think if the borders were opened up with Cuba and American enterprise got to go down there, I think Castro would fall like a rock off a cliff. And my question to you, sir, is why can't we open --

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, here's why --

Q Yes. (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: Here's why: Fidel Castro has got the capacity to arbitrage your dollars to the advantage of his administration. You pay in dollars, he pays in Cuban money and collects the difference. So you go to a hotel in Havana, the money goes to the hotel, which has kind of got a deal with the government in order to be there in the first place, and the workers get paid in a currency that's worthless compared to the U.S. dollar. And he makes the balance. And so, in all due respect, I have taken the position that trade with the country enables a tyrant to stay in power, as opposed to the opposite. Honest disagreement of opinion -- I fully recognize -- but that's why I made the decision I made. And anyway, my preacher, by the way, at St. John the Divine Church, is a guy who came from Cuba at about the same age you did. You look a little younger than he is -- but, nevertheless, that's why. That's why.
Yes, sir.
Are you buying the president’s answer to a real substantive question despite his foolish quips? I didn’t think so.

2 comments:

Neil Shakespeare said...

So free trade would only help keep the tyrant in power, eh? You mean if we had had free trade with Cuba all these years Castro might still be in power? Oh, wait a minute...I think he still is. Gosh, George, that big decision of yours has worked real well for the last 50 years hasn't it? Of course if we had HAD free trade, Castro would have been gone long ago. Heckuva job, Georgie! Or should I say Pedro Poophead?

SheaNC said...

So now we live in a world where the president of the United States condemns free trade, while the ruler of a communist country is okay with it? We're living in a movie, right?