Monday, April 10, 2006

Pinned To The Wall: Does the President Really Want Us "To See The Truth?"

Another great question by a Johns Hopkins student falls by the weighside by the usual political parlor trick the W, Rove and Co have deployed over and again: "We don't talk about ongoing legal procedings."
Q First let me say, thank you very much for being here and thank you for taking questions. I know we appreciate that. I'm a second-year master's student studying international energy policy.

THE PRESIDENT: International?

Q Energy policy.

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, good.

Q Sorry. (Laughter.) My question, sir, is, well, as Anthony alluded to earlier, and as you're aware, we have many students at SAIS who are currently working for or considering working for the State Department, the various intelligence agencies and such. And how do you respond to the recent report by Prosecutor Fitzgerald that there is, in his words, a concerted -- "evidence of a concerted effort by the White House to punish Joseph Wilson" who, himself, has a distinguished record of government service?

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. No, I -- this is -- there's an ongoing legal proceeding which precludes me from talking a lot about the case. There's also an ongoing investigation that's a serious investigation. I will say this, that after we liberated Iraq, there was questions in people's minds about the basis on which I made statements, in other words, going into Iraq. And so I decided to declassify the NIE for a reason. I wanted to see -- people to see what some of those statements were based on. So I wanted to see -- I wanted people to see the truth and thought it made sense for people to see the truth. And that's why I declassified the document.

You can't talk about -- you're not supposed to talk about classified information, and so I declassified the document. I thought it was important for people to get a better sense for why I was saying what I was saying in my speeches. And I felt I could do so without jeopardizing ongoing intelligence matters, and so I did.

And as far as the rest of the case goes, you're just going to have to let Mr. Fitzgerald complete his case. And I hope you understand that. It's a serious legal matter that we've got to be careful in making public statements about it.

Yes, please.
Do you buy the W's answer to this question? Do you believe that he wants us to see the truth? Yeah, me neither.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can't talk about -- you're not supposed to talk about classified information, and so I declassified the document. I thought it was important for people to get a better sense for why I was saying what I was saying in my speeches.

ARRRGGGGGHHHH!

You can't just "declassify on a whim". It doesn't work that way. "No longer security relevant," is the only reason for declassification and even then you need an extensive procedure.

Wonder if Fitzgerald is looking to catch Bush on this one?

(Sorry...sort of off topic. I keep harping on this so damn much, maybe I should just blog on it, huh?)