Monday, April 03, 2006

Good News For Critics Of The Iraq War

I'm still out of town, but finally have some internet access. Will post a couple of the nicer shots from my trek when I return and am able to edit the over 200 snaps taken. For J-Tree junkies out there, btw, it was awesome! More on that later.

On the upside, it turns out two of the folks I was traveling with were senior level officers in a branch of the military - serving actively (both had been to or were near to folks getting shipped to the big kitty litter box know as Iraq). So, I asked them, what's the feeling among the troops regarding the statement of the W, Rove and Co that suggests criticizing the war is demoralizing to the troops? It was unanimous that this was utter and complete bullshit. That's the good news. In fact, one of these folks ventured a guess that more than 70% of troops he knows didn't favor the war either.

I then asked them, what's the feeling about the Iraq Conflagration - they agreed that it was a bait and switch (Finding/stopping WMD vs. Removing Saddam). Mainly, none of the folks go with such ambitious notions that they are there to set the Iraqis on the secure road to a free and fair democracy - that's for politicians. They are going/go to Iraq because they are told to go by the President and that's their job (a la Semper Fi). The second, and perhaps most important reason, to go articulated by these two folks was to protect and save their pals - the bond between fighting soldiers is very, very strong, and that's what keeps them plugging away.

Finally, they both suggested that perhaps the money being shoveled hand over fist into Iraq might had been better spent fixing the schools or building homes for the homeless - these two folks were also parents, as you might not had guessed until now.

So, for today, this will have to be my only post. More on all fronts later.

Blog on all, blog on.

8 comments:

Yukkione said...

nice to see you be able to post. Interesting meeting those two military guys. Getting an opinion from them seems to justify the thoughts that oppose Bush. Most every military person I know feels the same way.. privately

Anonymous said...

oohh! Post pics when you can! Have fun!

Kathleen Callon said...

"J-Tree" as in Joshua Tree? If so, you're probably in 29 Palms, eh? I can see past of the base by my house. I've seen your comments all over, but just stopping in today. Small world. We used to live in Pt. Fermin, LA, and there were plenty of windsurfers there. Your pic reminds me of there. Peace,
and plenty Marines out here do know Bush and the war are complete bullsh*t.

SheaNC said...

Wow, excellent post man, I'm linking to this one. I love hearing from the actual soldiers that we who oppose the war have been correct all along!

pissed off patricia said...

Same thing I heard from my friend who spent 14 months in Iraq. He's in the Guard.

Anonymous said...

How about names and emails so what you claim can be verified as truth. Otherwise you're just another gossipmonger in the primordial stew.

Unknown said...

Dear Anon,

I do believe that you, especially, would appreciate having folks remain anonymous should they so desire. If you choose not to believe my post, feel free. No one is stopping you from not clicking here.

Unknown said...

P.S. Anon, I totally understand your incredulity as you have been battered with mistruths, malfeasance, and basic amoral and downright unethical behavior for over five years now from the W, Rove and Co. And, if you can't trust the president of the United States, who can you trust.

Oh, and did you not see my pic from J-tree - I was there, indeed - no need to grab the shot from elsewhere, nor to photoshop my audience in like the President does.

By the way, I challenge you to find anywhere at all in my blog to find any post where I was making something up. You won't because I don't, unlike many in the government. I only post what I know, beleive, and witnessed with my own eyes. Your preception and decision to believe what you do says a lot about who you are.
Blog on.