Monday, December 12, 2005

"I Mean, There Was a Serious International Effort"

Humm. Is a "serious international effort" the same as "passing a global test?" Looks like they let one of the good guys (how did she slip in, I wonder?) into W's speech today. Here's a great question that receives a dull, dimwitted answer:
Q Mr. President, I would like to know why it is that you and others in your administration keep linking 9/11 to the invasion of Iraq when no respected journalist or Middle Eastern expert confirmed that such a link existed.

THE PRESIDENT: What did she -- I missed the question. Sorry. I didn't -- I beg your pardon, I didn't hear you. Seriously.

Q I would like to know why you and others in your administration invoke 9/11 as justification for the invasion of Iraq --

THE PRESIDENT: Yes --

Q -- when no respected journalists or other Middle Eastern experts confirm that such a link existed.

THE PRESIDENT: I appreciate that. 9/11 changed my look on foreign policy. I mean, it said that oceans no longer protect us, that we can't take threats for granted; that if we see a threat, we've got to deal with it. It doesn't have to be militarily, necessarily, but we got to deal with it. We can't -- can't just hope for the best anymore.

And so the first decision I made, as you know, was to -- was to deal with the Taliban in Afghanistan because they were harboring terrorists. This is where the terrorists planned and plotted. And the second decision, -- which was a very difficult decision for me, by the way, and it's one that I -- I didn't take lightly -- was that Saddam Hussein was a threat. He is a declared enemy of the United States; he had used weapons of mass destruction; the entire world thought he had weapons of mass destruction. The United Nations had declared in more than 10 -- I can't remember the exact number of resolutions -- that disclose, or disarm, or face serious consequences. I mean, there was a serious international effort to say to Saddam Hussein, you're a threat. And the 9/11 attacks extenuated that threat, as far as I -- concerned.

And so we gave Saddam Hussein the chance to disclose or disarm, and he refused. And I made a tough decision. And knowing what I know today, I'd make the decision again. Removing Saddam Hussein makes this world a better place and America a safer country. (Applause.)

Last question. I've actually got something to do. (Laughter.) You're paying me all this money, I'd better get back to work. (Laughter.)

Hold on a second. Got a guy here.

Q Mr. President, I'm from the Phelps School; I'm a supporter of yours.

THE PRESIDENT: Oops, that kind of prejudices your question. (Laughter.)

Note, poor atttempts at humor once again reveal W's true character (and those of his apologist followers). Incidentially, correct me if I am wrong, didn't Saddam disclose in a massive amount of documents provided for digestion that they were not in any way shape or form harboring terrorists or WMD? I seem to remember the delivery to the US government of such documents, but I suppose the W, Rove and Co. dismissed them as propoganda - something they are prolific at generating themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the 9/11 attacks extenuated that threat, as far as I -- concerned.

Not like I needed to told that the man is an idiot, but this doesn't even make sense. [sigh] No news on that front, yet again.