Thursday, August 04, 2005

Love and Marriage

A few interesting quotes from the book I'm currently reading ( The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd):

From page 140:
Did you know that there are thirty-two names for love in one of the Eskimo languages? August said. "And we just have this one. We are so limited, you have to use the same word for loving Rosaleen as you do for loving a Coke with peanuts. Isnt' that a shame we don't have more ways to say it?"
From page 145:
"I decided against marrying altogether. There were enough restrictions in my life without someone expecting me to wait on him hand and foot. Not that I'm against marrying, Lilly. I'm just against how it's set up."
From page 147:
"you know, some things don't matter that much, Lilly. Like the color of a house. How big is that in the over all scheme of life? But lifting a person's heart - now, that matters. The whole problem with people is -"

"They don't konw what matters and what doesn't," I said, filling in her sentence and feeling proud of myself for doing so.

"I was going to say, The problem is they know what matters, but they don't choose it..."
I was at the NCLR benefit two years ago where Sharon Stone was the celebrity speaker and her words still hang with me. She said, paraprhasing, "I've been married (laughter, mainly due to her recent divorce). Marry (long pause), if you must."

No comments: