Monday, April 18, 2005

Perhaps the Best Song of All Time

Dusting off some of my old albums. Came across the Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits Album. One of my all time favorites as well as, poetically, perhaps the most powerful song ever written is on that album - Kathy's Song

Here are the lyrics:

I hear the drizzle of the rain
Like a memory it falls
Soft and warm continuing
Tapping on my roof and walls

And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To England where my heart lies

My mind's distracted and diffused
My thoughts are many miles away
They lie with you when you're alseep
And kiss you when you start your day

And a song I was writing is left undone
I don't know why I spend my time
Writing songs I can't believe
With words that tear and strain to rhyme

And so you see I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you

And as I watch the drops of rain
Weave their weary paths and die
I know that I am like the rain
There but for the grace of you go I


What about you....no doubt, you have a vote as to the all time best song ever composed and sung: What are they? Leave a comment below and fill us in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh but that's one of my 300 best songs
Best pop song; 96 tear drops
disco last dance

They were easy, but best songs change according to mood, memories, company and much more

For over a year now it's been Warren Zevon "the wind" whole cd
mixed with Rick Fante, Van Morrison, John Hiatt, and always Tom Waits--many more

just thinking about makes me debate early James Taylor songs--jsut can't pick one