Monday, April 18, 2005

Patriots Day and The Boston Marathon

Today is Patriots Day in MA. The marathon from Hopkinton to Beantown is underway. Having run the thing once myself, I can just picture the race as it is run. The good thing about the internet is that I can tap into the action almost as it happens. I think OLN (the Canadian broadcasting network is showing it live), but I get much more work done while seeing the updates at Runners World.

At this point, it looks like it is going to be a strategic and tactical race rather than the usual Kenyan blow out. The men have been turning in 5 minute miles up until the last one where they ran 4:55. Those times are altogether slow for winning the race. The person who won London yesterday finished in 2:07 - now that is smokin'. Incidentially, the folks stacked up in the front pack are capable of running faster than that. Perhaps the cheering section through Wellesley will be a nice pick-me-up for the pack as they pick up the pace toward the latter part of the distance. It is going to be a day of negative splits no doubt.

Run Harriers, Run.

No comments: