Monday, April 18, 2005

Now We Know

Lance announced that this July's Tour de France will be his last. Razor sharp focus places him, obviously, in the favorite category. Also, when it comes down to the Tour, there are not many that can hang with Lance, particularly if he musters the same or an improved team as he had last year.

Win or lose, Lance is stepping off the competative bike. Either way, it will be exciting to watch.

Slice:

I will cut right to the chase and say that after a lot of thought, considering the season and the races I was going to do this year, and having decided to focus on the Tour, at the same time I have decided that the Tour de France will be my last race as a professional cyclist. (Lance was visibly choked up as these words came out.) So July 24th will be the last one after more or less 14 years in the professional peloton, it will be the last one - win or lose. Having said that, I am fully committed to winning a 7th Tour.

There are a few people I would like to thank that have been very helpful along the way. First and foremost, I think the biggest inspiration in my life now and the biggest inspiration to this decision is my children. They are the ones that make it easier to suffer, but they are the ones who have told me that it's time to come home. And so without them, none of this would be possible. The second is my mother, she's been a great force that I have learned a lot from.

No comments: