Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Technology Rots the Brain

Found this in our local rag:


What's more harmful -- taking a hit or hitting the send button?

A study commissioned by Hewlett-Packard has found that excessive day-to- day use of technology -- whether it's sending e-mails or using mobile phones -- can be more distracting and harmful to the IQ than smoking marijuana.

The research conducted for HP by scientists from the Institute of Psychiatry at the University of London warns of the "abuse of always-on technology" in which "workers are literally addicted to checking e-mail and text messages during meetings, in the evening and at weekends."

End Slice:

So, are they saying it is time to legalize marijuana? Or, if they say technology rots the brain, does that mean that blogging is bad for you?

6 comments:

Sar said...

Couldn't access the link. But then again it could just be my brain is foggy from too much blogging. ;)

Anonymous said...


Self demonstrating example!

''Technology Rots the Brain'' proven.

The link is broken because:

http://http//sfgate.com/...

is not valid code.

Hold on a second while I take a hit off my USB drive.

Ahhhhh.

Unknown said...

Apologies dear readers. I was using my spouse's computer early this Am and the boys where whooping it up in the background. Also, I was using MS Explore and I hate that bit of software. Usually post from my machine using firefox.

Hopefully the link is working now. Enjoy, where ever you get your stimulants.

Anonymous said...

Well this would certainly explain a lot. No wonder my brain is always in such a fog these days...damn that email..damn that blog...

My question is: What happens when you post to your blog or send an email while simultaneously kicking back to take a few puffs? Does one of these then negate the other? Hmmmm...

Ducky said...

Have you ever hit the send button ... [i]on weed[/i]?

Ducky said...

(Whoops, damn those UBB tags!)