Thursday, October 13, 2005

Meanwhile, Uncle Karl is in Hot Water, but the President Doesn't Seem to Mind

More on the Plame situation in today's press briefing. You just can't make this stuff up. It's astounding. Here's Rove and Libby, apearing numerous times in front of a Grand Jury investigation, and yet they still get to make phone calls on the behalf of the W, Rove and Co.
Q I've moved out of barren ground. The Valerie Plame investigation, when the prosecutor asks, no comments about the investigation, he's asking those who have been questioned not to comment on the substance of the question. That's not what I'm asking you. I'm asking for the White House reaction to the Deputy Chief of Staff, chief political advisor of the President, appearing for the fourth time tomorrow at the grand jury.

MR. McCLELLAN: Yes, this is relating to an ongoing investigation, and the President has said that no one wants to get to the bottom of it more than he does. I want to get to the bottom of it. We don't know all the facts. We want to know what those facts are. This is an ongoing investigation. The President directed the White House to cooperate fully with it. That's exactly what we have been doing. We will be glad to talk about it once it's over, but until that time, what we're going to do is let the special prosecutor complete his work.

Q Can I just ask a quick follow to that? Without talking specifically about the CIA leak case, which I know you don't want to do, can you talk in generality, would the President allow --

MR. McCLELLAN: Actually, Jim --

Q Would the President allow a staffer who's been indicted to continue to serve?

MR. McCLELLAN: Let me correct you. I will be glad to talk about it once it's come to a conclusion.

Q But today.

MR. McCLELLAN: You're saying that I don't want to talk about it. I will be glad to once it comes to a conclusion. I don't know all the facts. I want this to come to a successful conclusion.

Q But you've said you're not going to talk about it because it's an ongoing investigation. What I'm just asking is, in general, would the President allow an indicted staffer to remain in the White House?

MR. McCLELLAN: I think the President has addressed these issues, and, again, you're asking a question relating to an ongoing investigation, and you're asking in the context of --

Q Can you just remind us of the answers, because I'm --

MR. McCLELLAN: -- someone who you're all reporting may be going back to testify, and I'm just not going to get into that kind of speculation. Okay, now, back to you. I'm sorry, they're going back and forth.

Q You say you can't wait to be able to talk about this. Why?

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm sorry?

Q You said that you just can't wait --

MR. McCLELLAN: Yes, I said I'll be glad to talk about it once it's done.

Q You said you can't wait to be able to.

MR. McCLELLAN: I said I'll be glad to talk about it, and I look forward to that opportunity, once it's completed.
Let's see if he keeps his word. Doubt it.

No comments: