Sunday, May 07, 2006

A "Watershed Year" For Iraq?

Finally, the Veep is being interviewed by someone other than Mr. Tony the Snow-job at fox and he gets asked a very challenging question. What do you make of The Big Dick's answer?
Q I'd like to ask you about two of the comments that you have made that have gotten a lot of attention with respect to Iraq. Much has been made about what you said about being greeted as liberators, and about a year ago when you said the insurgency was in its last throes. More recently, you defended that as, "basically accurate." With all due respect, sir, isn't that wrong?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Which?

Q Both of those?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Both of those. No, I think with respect to the question of were we greeted as liberators, I think we clearly are viewed as liberators by the vast majority of the Iraqi people. No question we've had problems with a group of terrorist insurgents, but that's a very small minority. And I really believe that when the history books are written that what we'll find is that 2005 was the turning year, the watershed year for Iraq operations. Why? Well, primarily because that's the year which the Iraqis first had an election in January, when they elected an interim government. That's the year in which they wrote a constitution -- the most up-to-date modern constitution in the Arab world. That's the year when they ratified that constitution, and finally, you had national elections. They had three national elections last year. In their last national election, they turned out by the millions to participate in that process.

And I think when we look back from the perspective of history, we'll see that that was the turning point, that was the period of time when the Iraqis stepped up and began to take responsibility for their own fate, for their own affairs, developed a political system and put it in place, as well as participated in a major way in the training of their own security forces -- now got some 250,000 of them in the field. And that will have been the time when we turned the corner, when -- in effect, got on top of the situation in Iraq and will ultimately succeed in completing our mission.

I don't think you can judge it just day by day, or what's happened this week, or what happened last week. I do think you need to have some historic perspective on this, and I think if you take a historical perspective on what we've done in Iraq, that, in fact, that will have been the watershed year, if you will.
You can't measure W, Rove and Co performance daily, quarterly, or by polls...well, then his statement tells us a whole lot about how the Veep measures success: ...the same way you measure evidence for supporting illegitimate wars and ivasions of countries, in the broadest, most favorable terms.

Of course, later on in the interview, The Big Dick states out right that he's not making any qualifications as to how well he has done over his career, but that it's up to "history," and "others," to evaluate him. Me? I give him an F or something that reflects the very unethical and immoral behavior lower than an F. How about you?
Q Speaking of books, Valerie Plame Wilson has gotten a book contract, the CIA officer who became known through the CIA leak case. Any interest in reading that book?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: No, I didn't read her husband's book either.

Q You have been in public life for a very long time. Do you think the American people really have a sense of who you are?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, some of them do, perhaps. But that's not why I got involved in public life in the first place. I feel enormously privileged to have had the opportunity over the years to work for several different Presidents. When I started in the White House back in the Nixon administration, I was one of the youngest people in the West Wing, now I'm the oldest. The intervening periods, I've worked directly for four Presidents and worked closely with others from the perspective of the Congress. It has been a remarkable career from my perspective. I've loved it and still enjoy very much doing it. History will decide how I did. Others can evaluate my performance. A lot of voters have had that opportunity over the years. Fortunately, I've never lost an election. That doesn't mean that I might not lose one if I continued long enough in the business, but I'm not going to be in the business that much longer anyway.

6 comments:

Jeremy said...

I give him an F as well (duh).

This is a great article, perhaps foreseeing exactly how history will judge this administration.

Unknown said...

I say he has killed us financially and politically with the rest of the world..it will take a decade to fix his "legacy".

I read the RS article..not bad. I never rated this bonehead above a dandelion in intelligence..so what does that say about his supporters? :P

Anonymous said...


History?

A plan lacking a means of putting itself into effect is useless.

If this administration is remembered for anything at all, it will be for incompetence.

E. g: proposing privating social security with a way to pay for it. Proposing 'democracy' in Iraq as an afterthought for a 'country' that didn't even know how to hold a school board meeting.

Anonymous said...

G.O.P. - "Grand Optimists Party"

Ken Grandlund said...

By what measure is three national elections in one year for the same governing body measured successful? Only in the Bizarro world of Cheney, I guess.

By those standards, shooting someone in the face and not actually killing them could be called a successful hunting trip!

isabelita said...

Cheney, Bush, Rove, et al are a bunch of aging losers who are acting as corporate raiders to fund their old ages. I say we rise up, USA shareholders, and get these fuckers incarcerated so they can't golf into their golden years.