Sunday, May 07, 2006

Do Opinion Polls Matter and More Rhetorical Suicide Committed By The Big Dick Cheney

So, at what point do the polls matter? When they suggest, perhaps, that the administration is pushing in the wrong direction:
Q Coming back to White House for a moment, the President's approval rating has been in the 30s. Yours has slipped to the teens. Do you think you need to do more to better serve the President to improve how Americans perceive you?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, I do my job to the best of my ability. I am there specifically to serve him and not to worry about my ratings in the polls. I'm not there -- I'm not running for anything. I call them like I see them. I give him the best advice I can. He doesn't always agree. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. But we don't spend a lot of time looking at the polls. You can't. There's not enough hours in the day to worry about all of that. We've got a job to do. We've got a mission to accomplish, big things that we're about -- both in the international arena and domestically -- and so I think for both of us, as I say, we don't spend a lot of time on polls.

Q If people felt differently about the administration might that help you to achieve some of the things you're looking to accomplish?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, I'm not sure that's the case. I think the important thing is that we get people to focus on problems, that we get the Congress to focus on problems. We've done some pretty amazing things in the course of a little over five years now. But there's a lot left to do. There's always more work, if you will, if you think about it in those terms. And we'll continue to push very, very hard. And the President is one of those who believes in taking on big issues. You don't always prevail when you take on big issues. You can play small ball and deal only with small items at the margins. But that's not what we went there to do. We went there to address big issues.

And when you think back about what we've done over the course of the last five-and-a-half years, we feel very good about our record, and I think the American people will, too.
This last sentence is where the Big Dick hangs himself. With an opinion poll approval rating in the low teens, obviously he is not speaking about a majority of the American people. At what point will the Big Dick fatally hang himself?

No comments: