Friday, May 05, 2006

One Loaded Question and A Fair Blessing From The Press For Scotty

Out with the old, in with the new. Scotty's last day will give us Mr. Tony the Snow-job. Plus ce change...whatever...here's two interesting Q's in the Scotty McMessage McClellan's last day at the Whitehouse (he will be traveling with the W for another week, so we have not heard the last from him just yet). So the Whitehouse press pool waxes nostalgic and philosophic. Have a look:
Q Scott, as this is your last briefing, could you reflect on your worst day at Press Secretary, and even your best day? (Laughter.) And also, as the President's poll numbers are at their all-time low, can you talk to the American public as to why you trust and you are very loyal to this President?

MR. McCLELLAN: April, I guess that's about a three- or four-part question there in one.

Q You know I'm good for that. (Laughter.)

MR. McCLELLAN: But let me start off by saying that it has been a real honor to serve as the White House Press Secretary. I cannot thank the President enough for the privilege of being a part of his team. And I am thinking about this, as I reflect on this day, in a sense of gratitude. I'm grateful for the opportunity that I've had. I'm grateful for the opportunity that I've had to work with people in this room. And that's the way I'm looking at it.

In terms of the best day or the best moments, the best moments are when we're visiting the troops, when we're going to Afghanistan and visiting Bagram Air Base, and seeing our troops that are on the front lines of the war on terrorism, or when we were going to Fort Bragg in North Carolina a few years ago, and visiting the special ops forces, those who achieve great successes that are rarely heard about in the public, because most of their work is done in a very quiet yet important way.

So those are the moments I think about when I think about the best part of being the Press Secretary. And certainly, there are other moments that are some of the most memorable, but they're also some of the toughest. This President recognizes the importance of his responsibility to comfort the families of the fallen, and to visit the wounded, those at Bethesda, or those at Walter Reed or elsewhere around the country. He'll be visiting with some families of fallen this evening, some families of fallen Marines who made the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq.

And I've been with the President when he's visited those families. I've been with the President when he's visited the wounded. And this President knows that the most difficult decision a President has to make is to send our men and women in uniform into combat. And he takes that responsibility very seriously, and he also takes the responsibility very seriously of comforting those who have lost loved ones, and personally thanking those who have made significant sacrifices in the war on terrorism, those who have suffered great wounds. We are forever grateful to those soldiers, and I will remember those moments most. And it reminds me of the kind of President that we have in office, and what a privilege it has been to serve him.

Ivan.

Q I'm going to begin, if you will allow me, with a combination of a Pentagon blessing, if you will, an old Irish one: Fair winds and following seas; And may you be in Heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're gone. (Laughter.)
As usual, we get an "answer" from Scotty, but is it adequate? You, the American people, indeed are the judges of that regardless who the "decider" is...

Blog on all.

No comments: