Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Was It Worth It?

I found this image in a NYTimes article about Iraq war vets.

Was it worth it?

I can't help but pose the question: Was it worth it? The W, Rove and Co. "Ideological struggle of the twenty first century" seems less and less like it was a good investment. Moreover, the ROI has never been worth the outlay, in my book.

Here's an excerpt from the article:
This background provides the context for Ms. Berman’s photographs, which are themselves tip-of-the-iceberg images. No matter what the viewer’s political position, the images add up to a complex and desolating anti-war statement. Mr. Acosta makes that statement outright: “Yeah, I got a Purple Heart. I don’t care. I don’t need anything to prove I was there. I know I was there. I got a constant reminder. I mean like all the reasons we went to war, it just seems like they’re not legit enough for people to lose their lives for and for me to lose my hand and use of my legs and for my buddies to lose their limbs.


Meanwhile, the President is busy pandering to the American people:

9:06 A.M. CDT

THE PRESIDENT: How is everybody doing? Thank you for joining me. I'm visiting with some of the area's finest citizens. We talked about businesses and opportunities and sports and culture. It's good to be with you. Thank you. I hope you leave here with the sense that I'm upbeat about the future of this country. I believe strongly we can do anything we put our minds to do.

Thank you all for coming.

END 9:07 A.M. CDT



What say you blogosphere?

Blog on friends, blog on all.

1 comment:

isabelita said...

This junior chamber of commece booster mentality is enough to make me scream.
If we all put our minds to it, we can make the Shrub self-destruct...