Monday, August 13, 2007

Damage Done: A Day Late And A Dollar Short, Rove Calls It Quits (And Is No Doubt, Simultaneously Lying To The American People)

By show of hands, how many of you out there are getting tired of politicians tossing in the towel suggesting that they really just desperately want to "spend time with their family?" Just once, I would appreciate some one actually telling us the real reason they are jumping the sinking ship that is the SS W, Rove and Co.

Any one have a real sense as to why Rove is tossing in the white hankie of surrender at this time? Has he been defeated by the Dems? Doubtful. Is the President working some magic before he Rove is indicted for some reason? Maybe. Is the President so desperate that he needs to fire his closest friend to prove he's moving in a new direction even if he isn't? Perhaps.

I came up with this joke on the way to work this morning, as I knew I would be late to the Rove posting and needed something fresh. Howsabout this one:
What do you get when the blossoms on the turd wilt? One stinking pile of shit. Ha, ha....
...but no wait, that's not really a joke, now is it? It's more like the sorry state of affairs for America that The W,Rove and Co have led us to.

Really, let's call this what it is, the Resignation of Uncle Karl is another political parlor trick to get people distracted from the real problems that are facing America. A day late and a dollar short, the resignation of Karl Rove will lead to no significant gain in the positive improvement of the geopolitical climate both abroad and here at home. And you can quote me on that. Hell, Uncle Karl may well be the sole reason why things are so divisive in American Politics today. I hold him fully responsible in that matter.

Do you think the terrorists are dancing in the streets to the tune of this news at this time? Well, I have no idea what makes terrorist happy, but if I was a betting man, my guess would be that OBL is chalking this up as a sweet, minor victory for them. Place one mark in the win column for them. Managing to get the President's best buddy and closest confidant to quit? Hell, that has to be fantastic news for them. Guns blazing into the air, I can hear the dancing chanting Jihadist from here.

For us here on the Home Front, victory is Pyrrhic for all us who despise the direction these men have taken us.

I turn to a more interesting political question: Who is going to hire Uncle Karl next? If it be a GOP candidate for President, will it be the kiss of death or the breath of life? Can you imagine Mitt and Karl teaming up? Most certainly, Karl wouldn't toss his hat into the ring as a candidate himself, would he? That would be Chutzpah with a capital Holy Shit, now wouldn't it?

In case you are wondering what they official line is, here's what the Whitehouse is saying:
11:31 A.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Karl Rove is moving on down the road. I've been talking to Karl for a while about his desire to spend more time with Darby and Andrew. This is a family that has made enormous sacrifices not only for our beloved state of Texas, but for a country we both love.

We've been friends for a long time, and we're still going to be friends. I would call Karl Rove a dear friend. We've known each other as youngsters interested in serving our state. We worked together so we could be in a position to serve this country. And so I thank my friend. I'll be on the road behind you here in a little bit. I thank Darby and I thank Karl for making a tremendous sacrifice, and I wish you all the very best.

MR. ROVE: Today, I submitted my resignation as Deputy Chief of Staff and Senior Advisor effective the end of the month. Mr. President, I'm grateful for the opportunity you gave me to serve our nation and you. I'm grateful for being able to work with the extraordinary men and women that you've drawn into this administration. And I'm grateful to have been a witness to history. It has been the joy and the honor of a lifetime.

I've seen a man of far-sighted courage put America on a war footing and protect us against a brutal enemy in a dangerous conflict that will shape this new century. I've seen a leader respond to an economy weakened by recession, corporate scandal and terrorist attacks, by taking decisive action to strengthen the economy and create jobs. I've seen a reformer who challenged his administration, the Congress, and the country to make bold changes to important institutions in great need of repair.

Mr. President, the world has turned many times since our journey began. We've been at this a long time. It was over 14 years ago that you began your run for governor, and over 10 years ago that we started thinking and planning about a possible run for the presidency. It has been an exhilarating and eventful time.

Through it all, you've remained the same man. Your integrity, character and decency have remained unchanged and inspiring. Through all those years, I've asked a lot of my family, and they've given all I've asked and more. And now it seems the right time to start thinking about the next chapter in our family's life.

It's not been an easy decision. As you know from our discussions, it started last summer. It always seemed there was a better time to leave somewhere out there in the future. But now is the time. I will miss, deeply miss my work here, my colleagues, and the opportunity to serve you and our nation, Mr. President.

But I look forward to continuing our friendship of 34 years, to being your fierce and committed advocate on the outside, and to the next journey we might make together.

At month's end, I will join those whom you meet in your travels, the ordinary Americans who tell you they are praying for you. Like them, I will ask for God's continued gifts of strength and wisdom for you and your work, your vital work for our country and the world, and for the Almighty's continued blessing of our great country.

Thank you again for this extraordinary opportunity. (Applause.)

END 11:35 A.M. EDT
Four minutes from the start, I'm wondering, is he taking his GOP sponsored Blackberry with him? Is the ruse about needing to spend more time with his family just a shroud for the fact that Rove's been fired...that he was no longer serving "at the pleasure of the president?"

If there was one man who could write a damning tell-all that would sell giant sums of books, it would be Rove. But could we trust him if he did? Doubtful.

Blog on friends, blog on all.

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Windspike

How about a conspiracy theory? Remember all the hooha before the House recess when Trent Lott made those stupid comments about how everyone should get out of DC for the summer and something about "flaming infernos" and all that? There was also that gut feeling Chertoff was having... Maybe KKKarl wants to make sure he saves his ass in case of a terror attack on D.C. Something tells me that Cheney won't let Karl take up space in his undisclosed location. In fact, knowing Cheney, even if he knew something he wouldn't tell Bush, either. He'd let him merrily ride his bicycle right into the looming mushroom cloud.

Just a thought....albeit a stupid one, but what do you expect on a Monday? ;-)

Anonymous said...


If at first you don't succeed, quit!

Karl's smart enough to know that he can't fix everything he's screwed up, including using his considerable talent to sustain in office a non-entity like Bush.