Thursday, June 15, 2006

Preaching From The Whitehouse Press Pool Or Asking Legitimate Questions? Subtitle: Permanent US Basis In Iraq Likely.

You be the judge, but I have to admit, I love Helen Thomas and it seems to me that she is one person who often speaks for my brand of American, those skeptical of anything the W, Rove and Co does:
Helen.

Q Would you like to reaffirm what you said earlier today, that the U.S. wants no permanent bases in Iraq?

MR. SNOW: Well, I think -- let me -- because -- can you define what a permanent base is?

Q No, I can't.

MR. SNOW: Well, then how can I get a question --

Q Except into infinity -- no, no, no, you're dancing around already.

MR. SNOW: No, I'm not dancing around. I'm actually trying to get a specific question answered.

Q Okay, say flatly, does the United States want bases in Iraq?

MR. SNOW: It has bases in Iraq, and the United States will have bases -- look, the United States, Secretary Rice has said -- well, number one, it's premature to talk about how long they're going to be there. Number two, Ambassador Khalilzad has said we have no desire for permanent bases. Number three, when it comes to a permanent base, that is not the call of the United States. As you know, Iraq has a sovereign government. So the issue of --

Q It's about as sovereign as the President being able to go into Iraq and not even tell the President.

MR. SNOW: Okay, well, obviously, Helen, you're preaching and not asking. Let's go to you.
From the looks of it, they seem to be lacking in parental supervision over at the whitehouse, if you ask me. Some one has to play the parental role with the W, Rove and Co and Helen is duly suited to the task.

No comments: