Wednesday, July 25, 2007

When Do The Impeachment Proceedings Begin?

I won't bore you with the gritty details of my wonderful family vacation. Neither will I barrage you with a hundred plus shots from my camera. I will say this, one thing I really enjoy is spending quality time with my family in my home town. It's truly a splendid place to be and to have grown up.

Meanwhile, it appears that I have not missed much. On the plane back to my town - again, another wonderful place to call home - we were the beneficiaries of some freaks tossing bricks of cheese into the bags at some airports for kicks and giggles. What that meant was that after I most of the passengers had boarded, they deplaned everyone and then did a search of our craft - or at least that's what they said. Following the typical leadership by faith protocol learned over the six plus years of the W, Rove and Co, one never really knows what the folks in charge are really doing.

Of course, safety is a myth when you are boarding an air plane. Rocket launchers aside (which if you had one and stood on any nearby bridge, you could take out numerous aircraft before exploding yourself up to stop from getting caught). Airplanes are relatively safe, but any time one goes down, it's usually not a good result.

Sure the inconvenience of it all aside, it's better safe than sorry. Even better, I learned that there was a celebrity on board (a Food Channel Chef)because he and his family were not able to slip back into the safe confines of the executive class suite they have for VIPs not like me. I only saw one passenger snap a picture with him...but I digress.

As I was watching the in flight television, I noticed Tony the Snow job on CNN - and he is looking weathered and much older after having worked with the W and his pals, not to mention surviving cancer treatment. I don't usually see Tony, by the way. I usually take my dose via the text at the White house web location. On the screen it flashed something about indictments and the like. So, when I landed, I had to pop on over to the url to see what they were shoveling.

I haven't even blogged on over to the usual locations, but no doubt the blogisphere is a twitter about Harriet Miers possibly being brought up on charges for not showing per orders of the President to testify in front of a congressional oversight committee. Of course, today's Whitehouse press briefing delivered by Tony was spent once again trying to deflect any accusations of wrong doing on the part of the W, Rove and Co. And I repeat (from other posts), I don't envy Tony his job. I wouldn't want to try and defend this pack of lairs.

Here's what he had to say:
MR. SNOW: Hello, everybody. As you probably know, the House Judiciary Committee has just voted along partisan lines to have a criminal contempt of Congress referral against White House legal counsel and the White House Chief of Staff. For our view, this is pathetic. What you have right now is partisanship on Capitol Hill that quite often boils down to insults, insinuations, inquisitions and investigations rather than pursuing the normal business of trying to pass major pieces of legislation, such as appropriations bills, and to try to work in such a way as to demonstrate to the American people that Congress and the White House can work together.
My view is that the W, Rove and Co spurns responsiblity and hates to be held accountable for their actions. The days of "trust us and we will do right by you" are long over for these knuckleheads. Moreover, "working together" is a two way street.

Even so, this is less partisan and could be more bipartisan than Tony would have you believe:
Q Tony, how can you cite as a sign of cooperation sending the Attorney General to Capitol Hill, when every time he seems to go there he contradicts what he said before, to the point that you have Republicans like Arlen Specter saying they don't think he can effectively serve any more?

MR. SNOW: I will let you do the characterizations. In point of fact --

Q That's what Arlen Specter said.

MR. SNOW: I understand what Arlen Specter said --

Q These are not my characterization.

MR. SNOW: Well, your characterization was, he contradicts himself every time, I think is what you said.

Q But he has contradicted himself repeatedly.

MR. SNOW: Well, no -- I don't want to parse too much here, and I'm not going to serve as the fact witness, so we're not going to get too deep into what he said, when and where. But I will remind you that when one is being called in an open session to talk about classified matters, it becomes very difficult to walk the line about what is permissible and what is not permissible to say in public. We continue to believe that the Attorney General has testified truthfully. He has also testified behind closed doors in considerably greater detail. Neither you nor I have heard that.
Well, simply because you believe something doesn't make it so (remember the WMD thing in Iraq?).

What say you blogisphere? When shall we expect the impeachment proceedings? Shall we start with The Big Dick Cheney first?

No comments: