Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Update from my Brother in Baghdad

This just in today:

Hi!

I hope everyone is doing well. Things are going good on this end (as good as it can be in a war zone). One month down and only three more to go. Time is still moving fairly rapidly for me, though the last few days were a bit slow (a good thing I guess).

On a good note, the last two weeks we've seen a decrease in rocket attacks. My friend, who is based at another location in Iraq, reports the same. On a bad note, folks are still being taken out by improvised explosive devices (IEDs). We are making great strides in the area of counter IEDs, but I don't see an end to this problem any time soon. That said, we still have a lot of hard work ahead, and for the most part, everyone here is still very motivated and mission focused. We definitely have the best military in the world.

Well, my daily schedule has not changed much from when I first got here. I still get up around 5:30 am to conduct physical training (PT). After which I shower, eat breakfast and then attend a morning team meeting. The rest of the day is spent keeping our unit up to speed. This means coordinating missions, fixing equipment, writing reports, acquiring supplies and equipment, etc. This daily routine is broken up with lunch, dinner, the daily attack(s) and or mission(s).


So far I've found all the missions to be very interesting and rewarding. Rewarding in a sense that I know my team and I are helping keep people safe. Ironic is it not? I like my job very much, but it is too bad we need folks like myself. Sure would be a better world if we didn't need people doing my job.

Take care for now,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad your bro is doing okay. - rock city