Thursday, September 24, 2009

Guns: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Lately, I've been going to a gun range and shooting a 40 cal Glock. I'll admit it. It's fun, and mui macho. Afterward the guys and I go for beers and a guy's guy movie - you know, like the Hurt Locker.

I don't own a gun, and I don't plan on getting one, but I have a healthy respect for them and I know how to use one. I think it's safer for me and my family NOT to own a weapon. I am not planning for Armageddon, storing food in the basement and loading up on ammo. Yet, there are some Second Amendment freaks out there who believe that weaponizing themselves is the only way to roll.

Unfortunately, there's a bad and an ugly side to weapons that people on the "gotta have 'em" side of the argument often forget. Case one occurred last night where two men were gunned down in cold blood. Case 2, also happened yesterday where some 8 year old kid now has to live the rest of his life knowing he killed his two year old sister.

And, if you review the comments on both those articles, you see the extremes. None of them can erase the tragedy, which brings me to the point.

My security minded and enforcement agent friend that we typically go to the range to shoot with explains it this way: Not every one should be allowed to own and carry a weapon. There should be a battery of tests, and proof that you know what you are doing before you are considered for a license, let alone actually own one. When you finally pass through all the tests and make it through the mandatory training, you would have to prove that you would store your weapons and lock them properly. Unfortunately, that won't even save you from yourself, it seems. Knuckleheads abound.