Saturday, November 10, 2007

No Heroes For Our Vets

With President Bush flinging blame anywhere but at himself, we find no heroes for our vets this Veterans Day:
Congress can also meet its responsibility to our veterans by passing a clean Veterans Affairs appropriations bill. Unfortunately, Congressional leaders let the fiscal year end without passing this bill they know our veterans need. So I urged Congress to pass this bill by Veterans Day -- and they still have failed to send me this vital legislation. The time to act is running out. There are now just four days left on the legislative calendar before Congress leaves town for their Thanksgiving break. The best way members of Congress can give thanks to our veterans is to send me a clean bill that I can sign into law.
So, whose fault is it that our vets continually get screwed? Of course it's politically advantageous for Bush to sling blame at Congress, but it's also a signal of failed leadership and diplomacy on his part that there was nothing worth signing into law.

Why do I get the feeling that the only reason Bush wanted this bill to sign on Veterans day was that he needed to appear the hero by signing a bill on Sunday? Denied the chance, he's not happy. The feeling is mutual.

5 comments:

MODERN b0i said...

So, whose fault is it that our vets continually get screwed?

Well, bush is easy to blame.

But ultimately, we are allowing him to do what he does. :-T

Christian Prophet said...

Yeah, it's so easy to project blame outside oneself.

Here's an article about education:
http://miraclesdaily.blogspot.com/

Mary Ellen said...

Hi windspike-

I'm so fed up with Bush it isn't funny, but I think I'm even more fed up with our Congress. They could end this war quickly by cutting the funding. They won't. They can stop the upcoming war with Iran by impeaching Cheney, but they won't.

I did put up a way that we can support our troops for the holiday's and other days. It's on today's post, check it out if you like. If you are a teacher, you could do this as a group project.

Unknown said...

ME,
Thanks for the link through your blog location. Looks like a cool thing to do. We've been supporting my brother similarly as he has received three free trips to the big kitty litter box over there. He's now retired. This would be a good way to stay in touch with real people put into harms way.

Mary Ellen said...

I can't imagine how angry the vets were when Bush didn't lay the wreath in Arlington National Cemetery. Everytime I think that guy can't be more of an asshole, he proves me wrong.